Monument record MDR9873 - Hurt's Wharf, Cromford Canal, Whatstandwell, Crich
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1794 AD to 1900 AD)
World Heritage Site
Loading documents & images
Eden House at Whatstandwell is built directly over the short railway tunnel. In 1811 the house was part of Hurt's wharf, and it is thought that the owner refused to allow it to be knocked down when the railway was built, so the railway tunnelled under instead. Hurt was the Squire of Alderwasley, and also the proprietor of the iron forge between here and Ambergate by the River Derwent. The tithe map of 1841 shows a wharf here at Whatstandwell on the opposite, northern side of the canal to Eden House. (1)
Canal wharf built in 1794 for Hurt, alongside the Cromford Canal at the junction of the Wirksworth to Alfreton Turnpike, not only for the interchange of goods from the road, but also to serve the gritstone quarries to the north. At this point the canal is very close to the river, so when the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midland Junction Railway was built in 1849, a shallow tunnel was built to take the railway under the wharf. The arch structure is supported by a substantial dressed stone retaining wall. The latter is also part of the cottages at the north end of the tunnel. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 38, illust..
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3323 5428 (54m by 101m) (Approximate)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.