The original station, 1849, exists as a platform and simple wooden building at the north end of the tunnel, behind the Derwent Hotel. In the railway embankment wall, opposite, is a drinking fountain, presumably to represent the original well, bearing 'Watstandwell MDCCCLXI'. (1)
The remains of the former Whatstandwell railway station platforms built in 1849 and closed in 1894. There is a drinking fountain in the railway embankment wall inscribed 'WATSTANDWELL MDCCCXLI' [sic]. (2)
The Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midland Junction Railway did not build a station at Whatstandwell until 1852. It was known as Whatstandwell Bridge station. In 1860 Francis Hurt paid for the erection of a drinking fountain on the station, which is now built into the retaining wall of the canal. The station was moved to south of the tunnel in November 1894. The platform remained for the use of the goods yard. The remains of the platform, stone edged approximately 30m long, can be seen from the canal wharf. (3)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.3, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1993. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazeteer of Sites Part III: Borough of Amber Valley. p 7.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3317 5443 (33m by 104m) (Approximate)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.