Milford House, a large handsome mansion south of the village, is the seat of George Henry Strutt, Esq. (1)
Milford House is a Grade II building built c. 1777 by Jedediah Strutt who spent the last years of his life here. It is a large stone house standing in embanked grounds above the road. It is of two storeys constructed from ashlar with a slate roof. The main eastern elevation is of a symmetrical design. (2)
Milford House is a large ashlar stone house of c. 1792 standing on embanked grounds built for Jedediah Strutt, who lived here briefly before moving to Derby. The main elevation facing east is of a symmetrical design. The building is two storeys high and has a slate roof and sash windows. The central round-arched doorway has an entablature with pilasters. (3)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335720.
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 76, illust..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3487 4498 (29m by 36m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.