In 1795 Sacheverell Pole, lord of the manor of Killamarsh, sold a water-powered corn mill (SMR 8717) to William Cooper of Sheffield who, in partnership with John Harrison, an ironfounder, developed an ironworks on the site. No record of their operation is known at present. However, in 1800 the whole premises was sold to Joseph Butler who, within the next four years, had built a forge and rolling mill with a chain-making shop. Farey reported that Killamarsh Forge produced iron chains, spades and shovels, and had forge and tilt hammers, skelper and planishing mills. In 1829 Sir George Sitwell bought the premises and leased it to Joseph Webster. The property was run down by that time, but included a battery of crucible melting furnaces, a cementation furnace and water-operated tilt hammers. Webster developed the site to produce very high quality steel. The firm made wire for cables, as well as steel hawsers and ships' rigging. Steam powered engines were introduced to power the rolling mills after 1831. The forge closed in 1887; however the premises continued in use manufacturing wire and probably producing metal pipes. The buildings have now been demolished and the site covered by modern works. There are traces of crucible pots in several boundary walls in the area. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Hopkinson, A & V. 1994. A Killamarsh Chronicle. Chapter 13.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 44664 80962 (127m by 133m) (Approximate)
KILLAMARSH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2016 11:11AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.