Monument record MDR9887 - Tramroad (route of), east of Killamarsh
Type and Period (1)
- TRAMWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Killamarsh, Tramroad. One of two tramroads commencing at the side cut near St. Giles' Church, Killamarsh. Operational during the first half of the 19th century, running to nearby collieries. Trace of their courses still survived in 1970. (1-2) (For the second tramroad, see SMR 8706) Shown on Greenwood's map of 1824-5. (3) Tramroad running from the end of the sidecut (SK463810) south to a coalpit east of Upperthorpe (SK 463804) (3/8 mile). Not shown on Sanderson's map of 1835, so presumably had gone out of use by that date. (4)
- <1> SDR11015 Index: NDAT. 1350. 1350.
- <2> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. P Riden, 21.6.70.
- <3> SDR8547 Map: Greenwood, C & I. Map of the County of Derby from an Actual Survey made in the Years 1824 & 1825. 1" = 1 mile.
- <4> SDR13526 Bibliographic reference: Riden, P. 1970. 'Tramroads in North-East Derbyshire', Industrial Archaeology. Volume 7, pp 373-396. p 392.
|Grid reference||SK 46328 80703 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||KILLAMARSH, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 4 2016 4:09PM