Monument record MDR9894 - Boundary Stone, Chevin Road, Chevin, Milford
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
The site is shown as 'B.S' on late 19th century OS maps and as 'Stone' on an early 20th century OS map. The late 19th century maps show a parish boundary on the opposite side of the road. (1, 2, 3) Gritstone post at the entrance to Swainsley Wood Farm, inscribed "DH". Possibly relating the Hurst family. (4) A post, measuring 0.6m high and 0.2m wide, with a rounded top was identified at SK 3466 4597 on the western side of Chevin Road during survey in 2008. The inscribed face looks east but could not be clearly deciphered, it is inscribed with a 'D' and another character that is described as "two squares on top of each other - could be an 8". (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-1.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-1, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XLV-1.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 16.4, with photo.
- <5> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. B1/8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3465 4598 (2m by 5m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM