Building record MDR9902 - Former smithy, Main Road, Whatstandwell, Crich
Type and Period (1)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Victorian - 1852 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Course squared gritstone two storey buildings in a range, with a plain gable to the north, and the south gable forming part of the retaining wall of the railway tunnel. The east elevation has small windows on the railway side. The west side has a central opening to the smithy with a timber lintel over. To either side are two slightly altered cottages with deep stone lintels to the openings and stone cills to the windows. The roof is constructed from clay tiles. The building is shown on the 1876 OS map as a smithy. It could be assumed that the group of dwellings were built as part of the railway development of the area in 1852. The building is currently a holiday let. (1)
- <1> SDR19441 Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Survey ref: 93.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3319 5438 (7m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM