This late 18th century canal overbridge is Grade II listed. It is constructed from coursed rubble gritstone with a single semi-circular arch. The bridge tapers in width from west to east, and has splayed abutments. The Cromford Canal was opened in 1793, its engineer being William Jessop. (1)
A simple bridge constructed of local rough coursed gritstone. The string course follows the line of the deck. The bridge has a stilted arch, the parapets and battered abutments curve and splay, and it has flush half-round copings. It is wider between parapets than other Cromford Canal bridges and has longer wider curves to the parapets on the south-east and north-west sides terminating in rounded piers. The other tow piers are 'standard Cromford' square. The bridge rises from the west to the east. The line of the canal copings continues as a string course under the bridge on the offside. The towpath passes under the bridge on the west bank. Arched recesses in the bridge narrows indicate 'Brindley Gates'. The bridge was built to take the pre-existing Crich to Wirksworth Turnpike road over the canal. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109170.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3325 5431 (8m by 11m) (Approximate)
CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.