Monument record MDR9909 - Footbridge, Whatstandwell Station, Whatstandwell, Crich

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1894 AD to 1901 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

The original abutments and a new simple footbridge linking a footpath from Whatstandwell village over the canal to the earlier railway footbridge of the station. The structure consists of two gritstone piers with a simple tubular steel lattice beam bridge spanning approximately 12 metres. The footbridge was erected in response to a petition from local residents in 1897 for a more direct link to the railway station after it had been moved from north of the tunnel under Hurt's wharf to the south side along Derby Road. A footpath was laid by the Belper RDC, land was given by a local landowner and the bridge over the canal was provided by the Midland Railway in August 1901. The original bridge was replaced with the present light structure in 1972. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Survey ref: 100.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3330 5415 (35m by 28m)
Civil Parish CRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.