An overgrown track leads from the swing bridge over Cromford Canal at High Peak Junction down to the site of the original Junction Inn. The track and farm are shown on the map of 1811, before the building of the Cromford & High Peak Railway, and in 1829 as Hobsons Farm. The OS 1876 survey shows it as the Junction Inn. The 1861 census enumeration book shows it as the Railway Junction Inn, the head of the family described as victualler and farmer of 34 acres. The Midland Railway demolished the inn in 1880, when the position of the railway line was altered. The track was subsequently used for access to the now disused sewage works. The boundary walls defining the track may have been built with the railway. The track is defined by the canal retaining wall to the south-west and by a dressed drystone wall to the south-east. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3140 5597 (59m by 64m)
CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.