Skip to main content

Monument record MDR9948 - Lea Wharf and Wharf Cottage, Cromford Canal, Lea Wood

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

At the end of the Leawood Arm of the Cromford Canal stood Lea Wharf, although until 1819 the arm had continued all the way to Lea Mills. A complicated dispute over water rights caused Peter Nightingale to go to the expense of truncating the arm and moving the wharf and weighing machine here. Traffic to and from Lea Wharf finished around 1936. In 1968 the original wharfinger's house was extended over the site of the weighing machine to make the attractive residence that it remains today. (1) The Lea Wharf and wharf cottage are at the present end of the Lea Wood Arm of the Cromford Canal. The cottage is constructed from dressed gritstone and there are the remains of a crane base nearby. The cottage was built after the shortening of the Nightingale Cottage. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 106-8, illust..
  • <2> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Site ref. no: 53.



Grid reference Centred SK 3167 5602 (69m by 124m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.