Monument record MDR9962 - Winding Hole, Cromford Transhipment Wharf, Cromford Canal

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

A turning space for boats formed by the widening of the canal. It is edged with stone copings which run continuously round from the transhipment wharf to the north, and overflow weir to the south. It is assumed to have been built with the canal in 1794. It has typical features of a canal wharf, and so a previous wharf may have existed prior to the transhipment wharf. Alternatively the winding hole may have acted as the wharf. The banks are now overgrown and most of the copings are not visible. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Feature number: 40A.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 31480 55701 (34m by 39m)
Civil Parish CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR3878
  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.