The canal tunnel is about 73 metres in length and was built of coursed stone. It has coursed stone ramparts and is barrel-vaulted. A raised stone towpath runs through its entire length. (1)
Tunnel carrying Cromford Canal through the rock outcrop at Lea Wood. Built with the canal in 1794. This is the only tunnel on the Derwent Valley section of the canal, which was otherwise constructed as a 'contour canal'. It was designed by Jessop and Outram and is 42 yards long. The towpath continues through the tunnel on the south bank, edged with substantial stone copings. The tunnel portals and lining are in coursed squared gritstone. There are substantial battered retaining structures to both portals, which terminate in squared piers to the retaining wings on either side and return back into the hillside. There is double arch detail to the east portal. The tunnel has stilted arches. The channel width is sufficient to take only one 7' boat with very little tolerance. A second retaining wall is set above and behind the main wall at the western portal. The tunnel is no longer used by canal traffic, although the pedestrian route through the tunnel remains. (2)
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 58, illust.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3271 5546 (78m by 25m)
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.