Monument record MDR9996 - Boat docks (site of), Gregory Winding Hole, Cromford Canal
Type and Period (1)
- BOAT YARD (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1870 AD)
- World Heritage Site
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Two short channels appear on a map of 1811 marked 'docks'. They appear again on a railway survey of 1840 (indicated as dry docks) and on the 1849 tithe map, but only as remnant structures on subsequent late 19th century maps. On the 1840 plan the dock nearer the winding hole appears to be twice as wide as the further one and relates in such a way to the winding hole that suggests that this dock was capable of being accessed from either end at one time. By 1849 a small building is shown between the two docks. The docks are appropriately sited adjacent to a turning space for canal boats but apparently inaccessible for pedestrian and road access, unless there was a connection not shown on the maps. The channels or inlets were possibly stone-lined and may have been used for boat-building. No evidence of the docks are visible from the towpath, although there could be some buried remains. (1)
- <1> SDR20817 Unpublished document: Mansel Architects. 2007. Cromford Canal Conservation Management Plan Report. Section 4, Feature 88.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 328 554 (104m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2015 4:26PM