Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST HELEN (1108925)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1261, 13, 134
Date assigned Friday, July 8, 1966
Date last amended

Description

Parish church. C13 tower and chapel, 1750 nave and chancel, with north aisle and vestry added 1939. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, red plain tile roof to chancel with stone coped gables on plain kneelers, lead roofs elsewhere. 3 bay nave with north aisle, 2 bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel/organ bay with two stage tower attached to south. Plinth. West elevation rebuilt 1939, two shallow gabled bays, that to south with advanced shallow gabled stone porch with clasping buttresses and segmental headed doorcase. Raised cross above in gable. Northern bay has advanced canted bay with adjoining pair of semi-circular headed windows to front and moulded stone copings to flush parapets. North aisle has three similar pairs of semi-circular headed windows below flush parapets with moulded copings and to east the vestry with two plain doorcases and a 2-light chamfered mullion window. To east end, vestry has two shallow 3-light chamfered mullion windows below and one large similar window above. C18 chancel has gabled east wall partly rebuilt in C20, with raised quoins and central semi-circular headed window with raised imposts and sill. South chancel wall has four-centred arched door with raised quoined jambs to east and projecting C13 bay to west which has C19 3-light chamfered mullion window facing east and tower beyond to south. Tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to first stage on southern corners, a C14 2-light Decorated tracer led pointed window with hoodmould to east and small slit window to south. Upper stage rebuilt 1897 with single light shallow pointed louvred bell openings to each side, and flush parapets with moulded copings. West elevation of organ bay has C13 chamfered lancet, and south elevation of nave has three semi-circular headed chamfered C18 windows. Interior has segmental headed doorcase into the nave, three bay north arcade of semi-circular headed arches on columns with stepped square capitals, and full width segmental arch from nave to chancel. Pointed arch from chancel into south chapel/organ bay and small moulded pointed doorcase from this into the tower, also small segment headed doorcase from chancel into north vestry. Southern bay, known as Brookhill aisle has large organ and three wall monuments, one c1780 to Robert and Sarah Lillyman, signed 'AB Fecit' with segmental pediment topped with coat of arms, cherubs to base and scrolled sides, the others c1870 of enamelled brass in moulded stone surround and c1890 in C18 style. Chancel has three large slate and white marble wall monuments to Coke family, two to south side with painted coats of arms to top, of c1759, 1801 and 1811. Various other early C20 plaques to rest of church. Font to west end of north aisle is octagonal with moulded stem and painted panels to each side of the bowl. Other fittings all C20. Some re-used C18 timbers to nave and chancel roofs. Mid C19 and early C20 stained glass to some windows. Listing NGR: SK4534655018

External Links (1)

Sources (1)

  • Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 4534 5501 (point)
Map sheet SK45NE
Civil Parish PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 18 2022 5:53AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.