1792. Together with the two sides of Flat Square (qv) to the east these 3 storey houses form three sides of an open square with a continuous ridge line but West Row faces outwards to the west. Built by the Evans family and completed by 1792 these brick built,rendered and painted houses have slate roofs hipped at the returns with Flat Square, pegged door frames and brick header dentil course at eaves. Across West Row is a single storey range of six contemporary brick built privies retaining much of their original external detail and joinery.
The C18 and C19 houses and schoolrooms in Darley Abbey built or acquired by various generations of the Evans family for their workers are of interest as a group to be compared with the Arkwright settlement at Cromford and the Strutt settlements at Belper and Milford.
(Formerly listed as: WEST ROW DARLEY ABBEY 1-8)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.