Boar's Head Cotton Mill Complex and Associated Housing, Darley Abbey. Thomas Evans began the mill building programme in 1782, and in order to attract an adequate work force to his new enterprise he created a new village, complete with school and other amenities. The Workers Housing: the earliest housing is 1-12 Flat Square … and 1-8 West Row, three storey houses forming the third side of the Square both built in 1792. (1)
West Row was built in 1792 and together with the two sides of Flat Square to the east these 3 storey houses form three sides of an open square with a continuous ridge line but West Row faces outwards to the west. They were built by the Evans family from brick and are rendered and painted. They have slate roofs hipped at the returns with Flat Square, pegged door frames and a brick header dentil course at the eaves. Across West Row is a single storey range of six contemporary brick built privies retaining much of their original external detail and joinery. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 55.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1229900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35248 38481 (14m by 33m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.