Listed Building: THE HALL (1204191)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1194, 4, 21
Date assigned Monday, October 22, 1962
Date last amended

Description

House, now offices. 1778 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations, mostly to the rear. Attributed to Joseph Pickford of Derby and built for gentleman farmer Henry Howitt. Red brick with ashlar and gauged brick dressings, stone plinth and bracketed moulded stone cornice with blocking course over. Hipped graduated slate roof with brick ridge stacks. Three storeys and three bays with central bay slightly advanced and pedimented. Main elevation has steps up to central ashlar Roman Doric pedimented doorcase, flanked by narrow sashes with tapering pilasters to outer edges and plain entablatures over, creating a Venetian style doorcase. Raised and fielded panelled door has semi-circular traceried fanlight above. To east side of the doorcase in the central bay is an early C20 war memorial with a brass plaque set in a pedimented stone aedicule. Side bays have glazing bar sashes under gauged brick flat arches. Two similar windows above and a central glazing bar set in raised, moulded, shouldered stone surround. Above again, there are three smaller glazing bar sashes, those to sides under gauged brick arches and that to centre in moulded stone surround. Similar windows to other elevations, except two late C19 canted bay windows to ground floor of west elevation. Interior has a fine oak staircase which has an open string with elaborate cheek-pieces and three different columnar balusters to each step, one tapering, one twisted, and one fluted, each on a square knop and a vase. It also has a wide moulded, ramped handrail. The staircase leads up to a large open first floor landing which has a balustrade of similar balusters. There is also a back staircase which goes up to the second floor, which has simple tapering, knopped balusters and ramped handrail. The ground floor east room has a fine contemporary coloured marble fireplace by George Moneypenny and one upper room has a plain shouldered C18 fireplace, the others are C19. To the rear of the building is a C19 bakehouse. Listing NGR: SK4905233917

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 49052 33917 (point)
Map sheet SK43SE
Civil Parish LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Aug 23 2007 9:04AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.