The Hall. House, now offices. 1778 with 19th and 20th cent additions and alterations, mostly to the rear. Attributed to Joseph Pickford of Derby for gentleman farmer Henry Howitt. Grade II*. (1)
The Hall was built in 1778 and attributed on stylistic grounds to Joseph Pickford. Handsome three-storey, three-bay red brick house with a slightly projecting pedimented central bay and a stone Doric doorcase. Inside, all that remains of note is the staircase and a chimneypiece by George Moneypenny, identical to one in the demolished Egginton Hall. (2)
The Hall was built in 1778 for Henry Howitt on land which had been allotted as part of the Parliamentary Enclosure of the township and which had probably previously been pasture. It was briefly used as a vicarage from sometime in the 1860s until a new vicarage was built in 1874. It was later used by the Urban District Council for offices and is now the Town Hall. (3, 4)
Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Buildings Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 20.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p266.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2002. Extensive Urban Survey: Long Eaton. Archaeological Assessment Report.. p 15, Component 13.
Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1979. The Book of Long Eaton. p 120.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4905 3391 (19m by 21m) (Centre)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.