Skip to main content


Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1194, 2, 103
Date assigned Friday, May 2, 1986
Date last amended


Lace factory and attached chimney. 1888 with minor later alterations. Built for Terah Hooley, a wealthy local industrialist, by architect John Sheldon of Long Eaton. Red and yellow brick with red, yellow and blue brick and stone dressings. Hipped slate roofs, partly replaced in corrugated asbestos with red and yellow corbelled and dentilled eaves cornice. Four storeys and 41 bays, with five central bays pedimented and built of contrasting yellow brick instead of the red brick used elsewhere. All bays have full height stepped pilaster buttresses between with shaped iron tie heads on each to each floor, which are inscribed 'TH'. The two buttresses to either side of the five central bays have stone capitals. Ground floor windows have segment heads with three courses of yellow brick below one course of blue brick, rounded jambs and small pane iron windows with small opening casements. Five central bays have red brick heads instead of yellow but are otherwise the same except the central bay, which is narrower than the others. Some windows have been replaced by C20 doors. First and second floors have similar windows but top floor has flat headed iron windows with moulded stone lintels. The five central top floor windows are now blocked in with brick. Above these is a large shaped gable with moulded stone copings, ridge and eaves ball finials and a central crowstepped panel of red brick. Within this is a large clockface set in stone surround with ogee headed cable moulding to edge, set on bracketed stone plinth inscribed 'A 1888 D'. Rear elevation is similar except central bays are built of red brick and there are four full height staircase towers with rounded ends, small segment headed windows following the line of the steps up and large segment headed hoist doorcases to sides. Central gable has a yellow brick crowstepped panel with central clockface. Attached to centre of building is a lower wing which in turn attaches to the engine house which has semi-circular headed windows with circular one in the gable over, and a louvred ridge vent. From this runs a large pipe which connects to a very tall brick chimney. This has a deep square brick base with a large moulded stone plinth, over which is the tall tapering octagonal stack with moulded band near the top and a richly corbelled crown. Interior of factory has wooden floors on cast iron columns. Engine with rope drive to all floors removed c1940. Total capacity of the factory was originally 160 machines. Listing NGR: SK4802436558

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SK 48024 36558 (point)
Map sheet SK43NE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 23 2008 2:56PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.