Building record MDR5527 - Springfield Mills, Sandiacre

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 480 366 Springfield Mills (NAT). (1) SK 480366. Springfield Mills is a large tenement lace factory built in 1888 by Terah Hooley. It is a four storey building with 41 bays and unusually large cast-iron windows. The frontage measures 350 feet and has a gabled centre with a clock. At the rear are a chimney, large staircase turrets and an engine house with unusual round cast-iron windows. The engine, with rope drive to all floors, was removed c. 1940. The factory had a capacity of 160 lace machines. (2-3) Springfield Mill factory and chimney. Lace factory and attached chimney. 1888 with minor later alterations. Built for Terah Hooley, a wealthy local industrialist by architect John Sheldon of Long Eaton. Grade II. The site includes at its southern end, contemporary factory offices and lavatory blocks, also grade II. (4) A large four storey tenement lace factory on the east bank of the Erewash Canal. This is a classic of the genre, built in red brick with a slate roof (part asbestos after a fire) and four semi-circular ended staircase turrets on the west side, each having semi-conical ended slate roofs. The building has a central section on both east and west elevations in buff brickwork surmounted by a large pediment embellished with ball finials and stone dressings. Each pediment has a central clock face, internally illuminated, the west face in a decorative brick roundel, the east in a stone surround. Below the east pediment is the date 1888. Between the factory and the canal is the attractive engine and boiler house as well as the most prominent feature, a tall octagonal red brick chimney on a square base, having a decorated head in intricately detailed blue brickwork. There is a two-storey office block at the south end, again in highly decorative brickwork with stone dressings and the name T Hooley on a frieze over the front door. There are cast iron tie rod wall plates with the impression "T H Ltd" along the factory walls. The factory was built by Terah Hooley Ltd, lace manufacturers, and has had lace manufacturing occupiers ever since. Messrs. J C Groves Ltd and Roper Brothers are among present lace making occupiers, the latter still operating Leavers machines. (6) This 40 feet wide multi-storey factory was built by the Long Eaton Levers lace maker Terah Hooley in 1888 at a cost of about £12,000. In it he installed his 12 Levers machines and let out the rest of the standings. Terah Hooley was the chairman and owner of the mill until 1919 and for the first five years his son, Ernest Terah (better known as a financier) was the managing director. The Sandiacre Mill Company was formed in 1919 when the Hooleys sold the mill for £16,000, most shares being purchased by the factory's tenants. By 1941 the Nottingham lace manufacturer G W Price was the largest shareholder. During Terah Hooley's owner the mill produced its own gas which, as well as lighting the mill, supplied part of Sandiacre. The factory was occupied by only Levers lace makers until the 1920s, when Jardine's sold their shares to Buoyant Upholstery, and by 1925 there were three occupants in the mill unconnected with the lace trade, as well as 11 lace makers. Lace continues to be made in Springfield Mill. (7) The factory has had lace manufacturing occupiers until recently. The building is now (2005) being converted to residential use. (8)

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <1> Map: OS 1:2500 1967.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p. 274.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: CBA Panel on Indust Mons 1975 12.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: DOE Listed Bldgs Dist of Erewash Derby 2 May 1986 87.
  • <5> Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. lace factory, Sandiacre.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp. 305-6.
  • <8> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 37.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 48021 36564 (57m by 123m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 1 2017 5:24PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.