Skip to main content

Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST MARY (1205669)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1774, 7, 50
Date assigned Thursday, September 26, 1963
Date last amended

Description

Parish church. Early C13, C14, extensively restored in 1853-5 by T L Walker, the west end enlarged and rebuilt in 1909-10 by PH Currey. Sandstone ashlar, plain tile roofs with moulded coped gables. West tower, aisled nave and chancel with north chapel and south vestries. West tower of three stages, divided by chamfered stringcourses. Clasping buttresses. Ground stage partly engaged by the aisles. West doorway with moulded surround and one order of columns with elaborate foliage capitals and head corbels. Plank doors with elaborate iron hinges. Pair of lancets above with colonnettes, carved capitals and hoodmould, continued as a stringcourse. The second stage has to north, south and west, a small lancet and a clock face above. Bell stage has on each side bell openings of two lancet lights with a quatrefoil over, within a single arch with colonnettes. Trefoil corbel table, panelled parapet with eight pinnacles. The battlemented lean-to aisles have 4-light west windows with intersecting tracery with trefoil and quatrefoil motifs. The north aisle has six buttresses and six 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery of slightly varied design. Gabled north east chapel partly engaged by the north aisle. To the west is a gabled porch with a doorway of two orders of colonnettes. Double doors with elaborate iron hinges. Rose window above of six trefoils in circles. To the north it has three 3-light windows with cusped intersecting tracery. 4-light east window with cusped intersecting tracery and a cusped quatrefoil in a circle. The chapel has moulded eaves cornice and decorative ridge tiles. Impressive chancel east window of 5-lights with a wheel set in a spherical triangle over cusped and shafted lancets. Flanked by deep gableted buttresses. South east vestries, triple gabled to south, the middle gable smaller. Rebuilt as a World War One memorial. Windows mostly with intersecting tracery. The south aisle has five 3-light windows with buttresses between, as on the north side but with more varied tracery. The westernmost window has been removed and a C20 range attached to south, not of special interest. Interior: low tower arch with semi-circular responds and dogtooth ornament. Internal 2-light window above with quatrefoil over. Lofty six bay arcades. The easternmost part has early C13 circular piers with capitals of small upright leaves. These piers were raised in the C14. Chevron moulded pointed arches. Three west bays have octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Moulded chancel arch on foliage corbels. Rich late C14 three-bay north chapel arcade with finely moulded arches. Triple sedilia and double piscina of c1280. Double chamfered doorway to vestry and an internal 3-light window above with cusped intersecting tracery. Unusual early C14 stone rood screen with 1-light divisions with a cusped ogee arch and large quatrefoil in each spandrel. Monument between the chancel and the north chapel. Late C13 effigy of a cross-legged knight set on a tomb chest. C19 hexagonal stone pulpit on a circular base. C19 octagonal font. Plain chamfered tomb recess in the north aisle. Gothic organ case of 1889. Stained glass: east window of 1910, probably by Burlison & Grylls. North aisle, third window from the east, 1914 by Jones & Willis. Listing NGR: SK4654941739

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 46549 41739 (point)
Map sheet SK44SE
Civil Parish ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Apr 24 2007 9:35AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.