Late 12th, 13th and early 14th century work present but considerably restored and partly rebuilt in 1855. (1)
Church of St Mary. Grade B. Mediaeval parish church consisting of nave with aisles and chancel. The west tower and various additions at the east end are either restored or 19th century and modern. 12th century and later with features of many periods including an interesting stone chancel screen (restored) of the early fourteenth century and some seventeenth century furniture. (3-4)
Church of St Mary. Parish church. Early 13th, 14th century, extensively restored in 1853-5 by T L Walker, the west end enlarged and rebuilt in 1909-10 by P H Currey. Grade II*. (5)
The parish church is dedicated to St Mary. The earliest fabric of the present church is early 13th century, although it may stand on the site of an earlier church. Prior to 1714 the church had a spire, but this was damaged at that time and was replaced in 1731 by a new tower. There was also a north chapel, or chancel aisle, possibly a mid-14th century chantry chapel; however, by the 18th century this had collapsed and the churchyard was extended over its site. There may also have been a south chancel chapel also. By the 1830s the church was in very poor condition, with the east window and part of the chancel roof fallen in. The church was restored in 1855, although the work was described by Cox (Authority 2) as ‘most unfortunate’. The outer walls of the north and south nave aisles were taken down and rebuilt, while much of the rest of the church was newly built on the old foundations. Internally many of the monuments mentioned in early reports of the church have disappeared, although a 13th century effigy of a knight has survived, as has a heavily restored 14th century stone rood screen. Cox noted: ‘The destruction of monuments in this church certainly seems to have been peculiarly wanton, even for Derbyshire’. The church was enlarged again in 1909, doubling the length of the nave and shifting the west tower to a new position. (6)
Remains of the tomb of William De Cantelupe were found during chruchyard clearance. Several sections of masonry were found in a rubbish heap in the vicarige garden. During the restoration of the church in the 1850's, the monument was broken up and removed from the church. (7)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 259.
*Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2007. Ilkeston's Archaeology. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/ilkeston's%20Archaeology.htm.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 06-OCT-66.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Ilkeston Boro Derby June 1960 1.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 250-1.
Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of Erewash Derby 6 Nov 1986 37-8.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2003. Extensive Urban Survey: Ilkeston. Archaeological Assessment Report. Component 1, p 12.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4654 4173 (49m by 26m) (Centre)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.