Early C19. Cluster Houses. Built after 1803 by William Strutt in co-operation with Bage of Shrewsbury. Since Bage's similar houses of 1790s no longer exist, the Clusters in Belper are believed to be the oldest surviving example of this particular housing type which was subsequently copied in many other parts of the world. Innovative plan of one block divided north/south and east/west to form 4 back to back houses. Each block sited in centre of large plot similarly divided so that the northern 2 houses in each block are on one street and hose to the south on another. Eight blocks or 'Clusters' were originally envisaged but only 5 actually built. They were intended as houses for mill foremen and managerial staff. Coursed stone, slate roof sloped down hillside, end and centre stacks. Two and a half storeys with flanking 2 storey one bay recessed wings. One window each and small ground flow window to left of door. Originally skylights and attic windows in gable ends. Windows, sashes with stone lintels and doors with voussoirs and cambered arches. Internal plan of living room and kitchen separated by inside coal house and cellar stairs. Some modifications and additions to several houses. Coursed stone rubble garden walls.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.