Grade II listed, early 19th century Cluster Houses, built after 1803 by William Strutt in co-operation with Bage of Shrewsbury. Since Bage's similar houses of 1790s no longer exist, the Clusters in Belper are believed to be the oldest surviving example of this particular housing type which was subsequently copied in many other parts of the world. They have an innovative plan of one block divided north/south and east/west to form four back to back houses. Each block is sited in the centre of a large plot similarly divided so that the northern two houses in each block are on one street and those to the south on another. Eight blocks or 'Clusters' were originally envisaged but only five actually built [see SMR40133, SMR40112]. They were intended as houses for mill foremen and managerial staff. Built of coursed stone with a slate roof sloped down the hillside, and end and centre chimney-stacks. There are two and a half storeys with flanking two-storey one bay recessed wings, with one sash-window to each bay and a small ground-floor window to the left of the door. There were originally skylights and attic windows in the gable ends. The windows have stone lintels and the doors have voussoirs and cambered arches. The internal plan is of a living room and kitchen separated by an inside coal house and cellar stairs. There have been some modifications and additions to several houses and there are coursed stone rubble walls to the gardens. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No. 1087362.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.