Please read our .

Grade II
Authority English Heritage
Volume/Map/Item 1038, 5, 46
Date assigned Monday, October 14, 1974
Date last amended


Model farm and attached farmhouse. 1861 by W E Nesfield, restored from 1980 onwards. Built for Alfred Miller-Mundy of Shipley Hall. Red brick, with sandstone and buff brick bandings, and blue brick copings to the plinths. Sandstone dressings, those to the house now painted. Half hipped plain tile roofs to farm buildings with geometric designs in red tiles and blue tile banding, also with crested ridge tiles. Farmhouse also has a tiled roof with similar designs, plus stone coped gables with ridge finials, large brick side wall stacks and a scrolled weathervane to top of the tower which has a decorated pyramidal roof. Farmhouse and buildings are grouped round three sides of a courtyard, the farmhouse to the south-east corner with the dairy attached to east side and the farm buildings attached to west. 'Old English' style. The farmhouse is single storied with attics and has a square tower to north-east corner. South elevation has an advanced gabled bay with casements to central bay window below and 2-light casement window above, with chamfered lintel and pointed relieving arch filled with decorative brickwork. To west,low range with two cambered headed casements. East elevation has narrow pointed window with decorative brickwork in relieving arch to south and the tower to north with an attached archway between to east, leading through to the dairy. The archway has a segmental brick head with carved roundels on the stone impost blocks. The tower has casement windows below a decorative upper storey with stone stringcourse, geometric designs in coloured brickwork and above stone and brick banding with 2-light openings to north and east sides. The octagonal dairy to east has brick banding to base and large casement windows above to north and east. Just below the eaves to north-west, north-east, south-east and south-west are chamfered 2-light windows with cusped circular openings. South elevation has a stone plaque inscribed 'AMM'. The roof (presently untiled) has a wooden dovecot to top with arcaded sides. Interior, formerly with Albert Moore decorations, now has slate shelves and some painted decoration. Farm buildings on west side of house consist of north range of pigsties with cowsheds to west and attached west range with a stable to north, large carriage arch to centre and more stabling to south, ending in a circular dovecot. Pigsties are single storey and have cambered brick arches into the sties and brick walls to front with inset stone feeding troughs. Cowsheds to west have five stable doors with cambered headed windows to sides, also to the east end is another stone feeding trough. Western range has segment headed doorcase with stable door to north, the central flat archway on wooden brackets and another flat headed stable door to south with wide double doors beyond. Attached to south-west corner of these stables is the dovecot which has brick banding to base with a sawtooth band to the top and stone and brick banding over. Lower stage has cambered headed narrow window and above it has louvred openings. Conical roof has gableted openings on projecting corbels on north, south, west and east and is topped by a sunburst finial. Buildings to south are not included in the listing. Coadestone fountain and ornamental wrought iron gates with bird motifs being restored. Sources: C Eastlake - 'A History of Gothic Revival'.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SK 43629 44261 (point)
Map sheet SK44SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Apr 3 2014 10:31AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.