A model farm and attached farmhouse that was built in 1861 by W E Nesfield, and restored from 1980 onwards. It was built for Alfred Miller-Mundy of Shipley Hall (see SMR 25309). It is built of red brick, with sandstone and buff brick bandings, and blue brick copings to the plinths. It has sandstone dressings, with those to the house now painted. There are half hipped plain tile roofs to the farm buildings, with geometric designs in red tiles and blue tile banding. The roofs also have crested ridge tiles. The farmhouse also has a tiled roof with similar designs, plus stone coped gables with ridge finials and large brick side wall stacks.There is a scrolled weathervane to the top of the tower, which has a decorated pyramidal roof. The farmhouse and buildings are grouped round three sides of a courtyard; the farmhouse to the southeast corner, with the dairy attached to the east side and the farm buildings attached to west. They are built in 'Old English' style. The farmhouse is single-storied with attics and has a square tower to north-east corner. The tower has casement windows below a decorative upper storey with a stone stringcourse, geometric designs in coloured brickwork, and stone and brick banding above. The octagonal dairy to the east has brick banding to the base and large casement windows above to the north and east. The south elevation has a stone plaque inscribed 'AMM'. The roof (presently untiled) has a wooden dovecot to the top, with arcaded sides. The interior was formerly with Albert Moore decorations, but now has slate shelves and some painted decoration. Farm buildings on the west side of the house include a north range of pigsties, with cowsheds to the west. An attached west range comprises a stable to the north that has a large carriage arch to the centre, and more stabling to the south, ending in a circular dovecot. The pigsties are of a single storey and have cambered brick arches into the sties and brick walls to the front with inset stone feeding troughs. The cowsheds to the west have five stable doors with cambered headed windows to the sides. To the east end is another stone feeding trough. The western range has a segment headed doorcase with a stable door to the north, with another flat headed stable door to the south and wide double doors beyond. Attached to the southwest corner of these stables is the dovecot, which has brick banding to the base, a sawtooth band to the top and stone and brick banding over. Its conical roof has gableted openings on projecting corbels on all sides, and is topped by a sunburst finial. Buildings to the south are not included in the listing. A coadestone fountain and ornamental wrought iron gates with bird motifs are being restored (1974). (1)
In 1860-1, W E Nesfield was brought in to build the turreted model farm with its dairy, richly tiled by Minton, to give a highly ecclesiastical effect, heightened by the 'four seasons' in stained glass by H J Westlake. (2)
'This farm will probably decay beyond repair before restoration will occur and therefore it was of utmost importance to record it. Measurements of particular parts, such as top of the circular tower and dairy, had to be measured with extreme care since the timber roof structure has decayed.' (1978). (3)
Original drawings of the building are a rarity considering that Nesfield would never allow any of his executed works to be published and at his death, he left strict instructions that all his original works should be destroyed. Nesfield never made a 'show drawing' of Home Farm or any other of his buildings, nor did he ever send drawings to the Royal Academy Exhibition. (4)
Home Farm served Shipley Hall and was built for Alfred Edward Miller Mundy who had the farm incorporate the latest methods of farming. The Home Farm as it is known today replaced an earlier farm and was built purely to provide dairy produce for the Hall and its staff. The farm was designed by William Eden Nesfield as a model dairy farm, far more extravagant than any other in the district. The milking parlour had ceramic tiles on the walls, and the over all standard of equipment and facilities were better than usual at this time. The design of the dairy is supposedly based upon the farm which served the Versailles Palace. The dairy is octagonal in plan shape and conceals a host of original Victorian details. Inside there existed a font, fountain or mixing bowl, and this stood about 5ft high. The walls of the dairy are painted in a red, cream and black zig-zag pattern. The four seasons stained glass windows have also been removed and are now renovated. The crest of the Miller Mundys occurs in several places. The squire (last tenant of the mill) died in 1920 and the Hall became empty, fell into disuse, and was eventually demolished. The farm continued to operate as a farm until 1966. (5)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1335340, UID Ref: 78824.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 192-5.
Article in serial: Darcy, D & Tarpey, I (University of Nottingham). 1978. 'Measured Drawing Competition- Home Farm, Shipley, Derbyshire', The Architects' Journal, 6th December, 1978.
Article in monograph: Spiers, R. 1895. William Eden Nesfield's Drawings.
Unpublished document: University of Nottingham. 1978. Home Farm, Shipley.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4361 4425 (60m by 46m)
SHIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 14 2015 3:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.