PARISH OF ECKINGTON SHEFFIELD ROAD SK 48 SW 2/118 Eckington Chapel of Ease II Chapel of Ease. 1877-8. Regularly coursed squared coal measures sandstone with ashlar gritstone dressings, rising from a shallow plinth. Coped gables with moulded kneelers, finial platforms and a Welsh slated roof with stone slated eaves. Symmetrical plan, with central tower range supporting an octagonal spire with an open belfry lantern, flanked by two advanced gabled ranges incorporating mortuary chapels, one for the paupers of the parish. Central range, south elevation. Steeply pitched gable above archway with a pointed arch and hoodmould with head label stop and with shallow stepped buttress, rising to the springing of the arch. Square tower above archway with two trefoil headed lancets; the lower then tapers into an octagonal pointed spire, with shallow arched mullioned and transomed 2-light openings to belfy lantern, with quatrefoil piercings to the transoms, all below gabled heads. Grotesque spouts to junctions of window openings. Pierced ashlar course at mid spire height, below lucarne type projections. Wide pinnacle platform for now missing finial. Single storey range amidst which the tower is set, with simple 3-light trefoil headed windows. Advanced gabled wings to either end, with stepped angle buttresses and pointed arched 3-light traceried windows, beneath hoodmoulds with head label stops. Projecting drips below window cills with foliage label stops. Doorways to chapels within central archway with moulded pointed arches.
Listing NGR: SK4332080161