House. 1624 with late C17, Mid C18 and c19 alterations and additions. Thinly bedded coursed rubble coal measures sandstone with ashlar dressings. Coped gables, quoins, gable and end ashlar ridge stacks with moulded caps, and a stone slated roof. Irregular plan with lobby entry to east side of north front, comprising three gabled ranges, each two storey with attic, the west gable set back, and having a full height advanced gable at the rear. Lower two storeyed gabled range to east. North elevation. Central gabled range with a tall chamfer mullioned window set centrally at each floor level, beneath a dripmould, the ground floor window of 4-lights, the second floor window of 3 and the attic floor window of 2. Narrow entrance bay to east with four centred arched doorway with chamfered surround, lintel and a plain planked door. Further east is a lower two storey gable with C20 garage door to ground floor, and a 3-light chamfer mullioned window above, beneath a dripmould. Gabled range to west set back, two storey and attics above a cellar, with all irregular window pattern. At basement level a 2-light chamfer mullioned window below a rough relieving arch with a single light window to the east, plus a low 2-light chamfer mullioned window further east. Above the basement window a 2-light window, formerly a 4-light chamfer mullioned opening now with two mullions removed and with C19 glazing bar casements. Above, a 2-light chamfer mullioned window to each floor level, each with a dripmould. To the east of, and at a lower level to these windows are two 4-light chamfer mullioned windows beneath dripmoulds, which appear to be later. All windows have leaded lights in metal casements, except where mullions have been replaced by timber windows. South elevation comprising a double gabled rang set back to the east, and a further recessed and lower two bay range running at right angles to the gables to the east. The west gable now incorporates a C17 porch internally, which itself appears to have been a C17 addition. The gable appears to have been an addition further modified in the C18, with a 3-light ground floor window now with C19 sashes between flush mullions, within a flush frame. Doorway to east of similar design, with flush surround and C20 glazed door with a plain rectangular overlight. Above are a 2 and 3-light chamfer mullioned window, both with transoms and dripmoulds. Attic floor has two 2-light chamfer mullioned windows. West end gable with ground floor 3-light chamfer mullioned window with transoms, a first floor window of similar size but with mullions and transoms replaced, and a 3-light chamfer mullioned window at attic level. The ground floor window has no dripmould, the two upper windows do. The west side wall of the west gable has blocked C17 openings at ground and first floor levels, and the dripmoulds to the south front have been returned around the corner to cover the side wall openings. East gable with two ground floor glazing bar sashes set in moulded surrounds. 5-light chamfer mullioned window with transoms to centre, beneath a dripmould, and above, a 3-light chamfer mullioned window beneath a dripmould. There is a small blocked opening to the west of the first floor windows. Two storey two bay range to east with small advanced tower to west end beneath a narrow catslide roof, and two ground floor C17 openings. Single ground floor 2-light chamfer mullioned window, and two similar first floor openings, the latter without dripmoulds. Interior. Ground floor rooms retain good C17 hearths, especially the present kitchen with a wide segmental ashlar arch. The dining room and parlour retain good chamfered and quoined surrounds to the hearths, the former room being panelled with C17 square oak panelling. This room also has a date of 1624 in the plasterwork. Parlour with moulded cornices and plasterwork to spine beams, also a diamond panel to the ceiling of the advanced part of the room to the west of the C17 porch, which enclosed a chamfered and quoined C17 door surround. Small hearths with cast iron grates and beamed ceilings to first floor rooms. Stair with masonry centre wall and oak and stone steps. Massive oak door at half landing level which can be secured from the flight above. On ceiling to staircase to attic is lettering formed by candle soot, thought to be ritualistic and intended to ward off withcraft. Attic floor with four exposed roof trusses, three of which are braced with collar beams and longitudinal braces, all of which are closed to form attic partitions. Within the present garage is a single upper cruck truss. The House was built by Arthur Mower (d1652), possibly soon after his marriage in 1620.