Skip to main content

Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST PAUL (1108900)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 214, 2, 3
Date assigned Wednesday, August 29, 1984
Date last amended

Description

Church. 1850 by T.C.Hine. North aisle added in 1866. Coursed sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables and a tall, gabled west bell turret. Nave with south porch; north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Decorated Style. South elevation with three pairs of trefoil headed 2-light windows and a steep gabled porch with double chamfered doorway and panelled double doors. North side with two similar windows and a C20 extension. West elevation with a 2-light window within a pointed arch with trefoiled lights and a quatrefoil above. Set within a projecting feature, like an external stack, becoming narrower towards the top and on which sits the bellcote. North aisle, west window of 3-lights with three foiled circles above. North aisle east window of 3-lights with large foiled circle above. Chancel south side with a single chamfered priests' doorway with hoodmould and headstops and a single trefoiled lancet. East window of three trefoiled lights with three foiled circles above. Interior has a four bay north arcade with circular piers and abaci, and double chamfered arches. Corbel responds. Two south windows with stained glass of 1919 and 1931 by Jones & Willis. Listing NGR: SK3971668556

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 39716 68556 (point)
Map sheet SK36NE
Civil Parish GRASSMOOR, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 14 2011 11:56AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.