Church. 1856-7 by T C Hine, north-east chapel and vestry, 1872. Coursed squared, rock-faced sandstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Shallow plinth. Steeply pitched slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Stone coped gables, gableted to eaves and ridge. Decorated style. North-west tower, nave, chancel, north nave aisle, vestry, north-east chapel with crypt below. West elevation - two tall lancets with dripmoulds and inset cusped tracery,to nave. Above, central quatrefoil window with dripmould. To either side, stepped buttresses. To north, 3-light pointed nave aisle window and another buttress. Beyond, two stage tower with stone broached spire. Projecting stair turret to south-west corner. Stepped angle buttresses to northern corners. 2-light pointed windows, trefoil-headed lights below, quatrefoil over, with dripmoulds, to north and east. Similar louvred bell openings above to all sides. Frieze of gableted trefoil openings to top of spire. North nave aisle wall has central stepped buttress and two similar windows to tower. Vestry projects to east with cusped ogee tracery to pointed eastern window. Beyond, to east, chapel with steps up to shouldered doorcase and gableted corner buttress. Triple lancet crypt window with trefoil opening either side,to east wall. Above, 3-light pointed window with cusped geometric tracery and dripmould. To south, 3-light chancel east window with similar tracery. To either side, gableted diagonal corner buttresses. South chancel wall has central chamfered pointed doorcase with dripmould. To east, traceried 2-light pointed window; to west, lancet with tracery and adjoining stepped buttresses. South nave wall has trio stepped buttresses with windows similar to tower ones to west of each. South porch with double chamfered doorcase and twin, flat headed, ogee-traceried windows to sides. Interior:- three bay north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Similar chancel and tower arches. East end of nave aisle has 3-light trefoil-headed, open arcade with frieze of blind quatrefoils over and traceried 3-light pointed window above. Scissor-truss roofs to nave and aisle. Barrel vaulted chancel roof with ribs and bosses. Chancel has linen fold panelling and seats to south. North side has double pointed arches filled with tracery, open through to northern chapel. Large angel above capital to central column. To west, pointed archway with nook shafts supporting carved capitals and pierced stonework tympanum, through to vestry passage and raised chapel. Original,stone trefoil-headed arcade,alter and brass alter rails and screen. Also contemporary plain stone pulpit and octagaonal font. To west of nave, medieval rood screen applied to wall.
Listing NGR: SK3728659014