House. 1492, enlarged and remodelled in late C16, with later alterations and additions. Coursed squared coal measures sandstone with ashlar dressings, two external stone stacks with coupled diagonal chimneys, and three ridge stacks with single diagonal chimneys, coped gables with moulded kneelers, and stone slated roofs. L-plan house, with lobby entrance onto baffle of central hearth. Twin gabled south elevation, the left hand side, stone coped, and with two 3-light recessed chamfer mullioned windows, each one with a transom. One 3-light recessed chamfer mullioned window above, below horizontal dripmould. Right hand gable set back, with a 5-light recessed chamfer mullioned window with transom to ground floor, and a doorway with chamfered quoined surround and C19 panelled door. C19 single storey range to east end of main elevation, with relocated 2-light chamfer mullioned window, a cart entrance with timber lintel, opening into a recessed C20 porch. West elevation with two external stack with set offs, coped parapet and moulded stringcourse. Between the stacks, the stonework is reconstructed, and there is an inserted 6-light recessed chamfer mullioned window with transom, with a 5-light window above. Flanking the ground floor window is a 2-light recessed chamfer mullion window to the south, and a single light window with chamfered surround to the north. The stacks each have a small triangular window to the first floor in the inner return wall, lighting closets or garderobes. To the south of the south stack, a 2-light recessed chamfer mullion window to the first floor, and to the north of the north stack, a single light window. North gable end with 3-light recessed chamfer mullion windows to ground and first floors. Rear elevation with a gabled porch in the angle of the two ranges with a 2-light recessed chamfer mullion window, and a doorway with a quoined surround. To the north, a C20 doorway flanked by small square lights and a tiny round arched window. The return wall has a C20 window with a wooden lintel, and a 3-light window above within a gabled dormer. Offshut to east with massive stone flags to roof. Interior: Entrance porch with decorative plaster ceiling of c1620, removed from the now demolished Greenhill Hall, in Sheffield. C17 square panelling to hall incorporates casing for a water clock. Stone flagged floor with built in window seat to hall bay window. Central hearth, with reclaimed surround, formerly with timber bressumer and heck post. Doorway to the side of one fireplace opens onto the former stone window stair overlaid with timber treads. A complete winder stair opens off of the other side of the hall. South west room with richly ornamental plaster ceiling c1620, decorated plaster frieze, C17 square panelling and a chimney- piece carved with a relief of the Fall of Man. Legend above from Attercliffe Hall, Sheffield reads Whatsoever thou dost take/in hande thinke of the ende and seldom shalt thou ofend (sic). Salt cupboard to the south. On the east wall, a squint looks out onto the front door. North-west room has a plain cavetto moulded stone fireplace, with a similar example in the room above. First floor west room, and the room above the hall contain the substantial and rare remains of timber smoke hoods. The south-west first floor room has a shallow segmental vaulted plaster ceiling with enrichments and with reticulated panels to the centre part. Transverse vaulted bay to one side some additional imported plasterwork. C17 panelling with carved upper panels. Stone chimney piece with stepped and cavetto moulded surround. The room over the hall has the other half of the ceiling from Greenhill Hall. The two small south rooms have plain stone chimneypieces with chamfered surrounds. The house, which was subdivided into tenements in the early C20 was restored by the Doncaster family post 1947.
Listing NGR: SK3233877310