Skip to main content

Listed Building: OVERTON HALL AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS (1218496)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1264, 12, 5
Date assigned Tuesday, January 31, 1967
Date last amended

Description

Nursing home, formerly small country house. Mid-to-late C17, with extensive remodelling with additions in 1702, 1788 and 1900, and with farther C20 alterations when the building assumed its present use. Ashlar and coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, quoins, ashlar ridge stacks with moulded caps, a moulded eaves cornice below a shallow parapet, stone slate and Welsh slate roof coverings. C17 double-pile plan, with massive central stack, with extensions to each of the ranges at different times creating a shallow open-ended court at the north-west end. Stepped 2-storey range added at north-east end of south-west front, and an advanced parallel range added to the south-east corner, linking the main range with a separate and earlier outbuilding to the south-east. South-west elevation of main range of 4 storeys and 5 bays, originally with doorway to centre, this now blocked and replaced by a late C19 double doorway to the south-east. Blocked doorway has advanced jambs and massive lintel with integral false keyblock. Flanking the doorway were 2-light chamfered mullioned windows, one of which survives, the example to its left being reset. To the south-east of the double doorway, a replacement 2-light window. A plainly chamfered band course defines the ground floor. The first and second floors are defined by broader bands set above the heads of former mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights, 2 of which survive, the remainder having lost mullions and transoms, and now with a variety of C20 frames. The windows above the original doorway are single lights with eared surrounds, a transom surviving at first-floor level, but the third floor, never with a transom, still with leaded lights. South-east elevation of 3 storeys, with a bolection-moulded surround and a segmental pediment to the doorway. C19 two-pane sashes have been inserted into the surrounds of former C17 mullioned and transomed windows at first and second floor levels. The third floor retains 2-light chamfered mullioned windows. The surrounds to windows in the central bay are advanced, moulded and shouldered. North-east elevation of 3 storeys, with 2 added bays at the north-west end. Earlier 5-bay part with one first floor, and all second and third floor, windows retaining C17 mullions and transoms, many with leaded lights. 2 ground-floor openings have C20 glazing bar sashes, with one window and a doorway having been blocked. Added 2 bays with 2-pane sashes; set in flush chamfered surrounds. Added bays to rear range partially obscure C17 six-light mullioned and transomed stair windows with leaded lights, and a further third floor mullioned and transomed window. Single 2-light chamfered mullioned window to third floor. Later C20 flat-roofed link encloses ground floor. Rear elevation of extension to front range has stacked glazing bar sashes 4 x 3 panes, in flush stone frames. Front elevation has 2-light chamfered mullioned windows matching those of the earlier part. Stepped range to south-west comprising a taller 5-bay part, possibly a remodelled earlier range which extended into the lower 2-bay part, to which a third bay has been added. This range has flush mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows, and above, glazing bar sashes in late C19 surrounds. The gable has a pair of datestones, one inscribed 'H W E 1702', the other 'W J de B + J 1900'. L-shaped range to south-east, with a 3-bay hipped roof part, with upper floor with C19 glazing bar sashes. Taller attached crosswing of three builds, incorporating massive earlier ashlar to the ground floor, on the south-east side wall, together with a tall segmentally arched double doorway with voussoirs and an advanced keyblock above a quoined surround. To the north-east, a blocked four-centre arched doorway, to the south-west, a square window with hollow chamfered surround. Gable with 4 late C19 windows, and two datestones, one reading '1888 W J de BJ', the other '1702 'W H E'. INTERIOR much altered, but with a fine C17 turned baluster staircase, some C18 two-panelled doors, and at least one C18 panelled first floor bedroom. Listing NGR: SK3465862254

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 34658 62254 (point)
Map sheet SK36SW
Civil Parish ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Feb 16 2016 5:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.