Listed Building record MDR5091 - Overton Hall, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to Unknown - 1699 AD)
Protected Status/Designation
Full Description
Overton Hall. The country house of Sir Joseph Banks. The south front is of 5 bays and 2½ storeys with parapet. There is some medieval masonry in the west wing. On the east side are some typical 17th century windows. A datestone reads 1699. (1-2)
Grade II listed building. Mid- to late-17th century, with extensive remodelling with additions in 1702, 1788 and 1900, and with further 20th century alterations when the building was turned into a nursing home. Ashlar and coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings; stone slate and Welsh slate roof coverings. 17th century double-pile plan, with massive central stack, with extensions to each of the ranges at different times, creating a shallow open-ended court at the north-west end. Interior much altered, but with a fine 17th century turned baluster staircase, some 18th century two-panelled doors and at least one 18th century panelled first floor bedroom. (3)
A large rectangular house remodelled in 1693-99 (datestones) around a substantial Smythsonesque tower house. The east front still bears signs of this phase, with its cross windows and irregularities of level. In 1811 its fame was more horticultural, as it was owned at that time by Sir Joseph Banks. The original house was in 1323 the seat of William le Hunte, whose descendants sold in 1556 to Richard Hodgkinson of Northedge Hall, also in Ashover. It passed through several further families before coming to Banks, who much improved the house and grounds and developed the mineral resources of the estate. Following his death in 1820, it again had a succession of owners, including the Clay Cross company. It also served for a time as a Youth Hostel and later as a home for the elderly. From 1990 it stood empty and at risk. It was purchased in 1997 but by 2001 was for sale again, in a poor state and in need of restoration. (4)
Hall is now an old people's home (1970s), but was formerly the residence of Sir Joseph Banks, the naturalist, who travelled with Captain Cook on the Endeavour. (5)
Sources/Archives (5)
- <1> SDR11369 Index: NDAT. 2958. 2958.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 296.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 4/3462/005.
- <4> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 297-8.
- <5> SDR22715 Article in serial: Merrill, J. Derbyshire on Foot: Ashover. No. 3.
Map
Location
Grid reference | Centred SK 3463 6224 (43m by 46m) Centre |
---|---|
Civil Parish | ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE |
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2024 11:20PM