WALTON SK37SW POCKNEDGE LANE 1264-0/2/130 (West side) 18/12/75 Cruck barn south-east of Old Barn Farmhouse
Farm outbuilding. C17, with C18 additions and alteration. Coursed rubble coal measures sandstone beneath a stone slated roof. North elevation of two storeys and three bays, with wide central single doorway beneath a plain timber lintel. Padstones for cruck trusses are visible either side of the doorway. Ruinous offshut to east end with single vent. Two vents to west of doorway. South elevation with single doorway opposite that to the north elevation, with vents to the west end, and an inserted double doorway with shallow timber lintel. Plain plank doors throughout. East gable with double row of vents, an inserted taking-in door off-centre, and a narrow light to the gable apex. At the west end on the north side, an attached pair of pig cotes, running at right angles to the main range, beneath a single pitch roof. Low wall encloses a small yard in front of each pigcote, and there are integral feeding troughs in the front wall of the building. INTERIOR: the building contains two cruck trusses, supporting a single purlin roof, with a diagonally set ridge purlin. The ridge is clasped by the cruck blades, which have yokes, collars, and originally tie beams, one of which has now been removed. The cruck trusses carry single side purlins, which have curved windbraces. The braces are cross-lapped and face-halved, the lower braces being notched into the upper face of the cruck blade. Significant numbers of oak rafters survive.
Listing NGR: SK3398270121.