House. Early C17 dated 1613 and incorporating elements of an earlier building, with remodelling in late C18, and further alterations and extensions in C20. Coursed rubble Coal Measures sandstone, with evenly coursed squared stone to remodelled south elevation, which also has ashlar quoins. Principal roof covered in concrete tiles, secondary lower roof with Welsh slate and stone slate with hessian and pitch covering. Single ridge stone stack with moulded capping. L-shaped house, with principal range running east-west and lower range extending northwards from north side wall at east end. North elevation, two storeys and attics, two bays, with lower range to east bay, having brick stack to gable. Doorway to west side, with C20 half glazed door and C20 bow window to east: 2 first floor openings with C20 joinery. C20 lean-to to west of lower ranqe, incorporating C20 garage doors. At junction of lower and main ranges, at first floor level, 2 light 2 pane casement window, below shallow timber lintel with soffit diamond-shaped mortices for mullions now removed, but formerly forming shallow 4 light mullioned window. South elevation with late C19 or early C20 tall 3 light mullioned windows in flush frames, mostly with C20 2 pane lights. East gable with 8 over 8 pane glazing bar sash to ground floor, with doorway to north with massive flush frame and lintel and C20 half glazed door. 2 over 2 pane sash window to first floor, and shadow of blocked window to gable apex Datestone within apex reads 1613. TEC Interior: 2 cell, probable central lobby entrance plan , now obscured by remodelling of south elevation and loss of central doorway against stack to south side wall. East room with ceiling divided into 6 full panels and 3 half panels by deeply moulded intersecting spine beams, with similarly embellished joists. The half panels are against the north side wall. Central hearth below plain bressumer, itself below an inserted fascia beam, deeply moulded and brattished, with the soffit cut away to the centre. This is supported by and joined to inserted posts; the bressumer extends beyond these the full width of the room. staircase to north side of hearth. Within hearth remains of C17 or earlier smoke hood, with riven oak laths and daub infill above frame of hood, which extends into first floor room, and is expressed in outline on attic dividinq wall. Smaller ground floor room with C20 hearth and C17 spine beam with joists matching those to main room to east side of beam. Attic storey with blocked window to east qable retaining diagonally-set oak mullions. Single purlin roof with curved windbraces and ridqe purlin carried on notched apex to collar and tie beam trusses. Quoin Green House was occupied by Thomas and Elizabeth Calton before 1613 and for a century afterwards. The interior timbering of the ground floor may represent the extensive remodelling of a high status house, or the incorporation into a remodelled structure of elements of a demolished building. Such deeply undercut timberinq is not typical of North Derbyshire houses of the C17.
Listing NGR: SK3564078044