Building record MDR15154 - Quoit Green House, Hallowes Lane, Dronfield

Type and Period (2)

  • (Jacobean - 1614 AD to 1614 AD)
  • ? (Medieval to Jacobean - 1066 AD to 1613 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Modern tiled roof with few features. A two storey building of stone. The west side has two double mullioned windows upstairs and two treble mullioned windows at ground level. There is a gabled extension to the east side, mainly stone, part brick. Report compiled 19/4/1994. (1) An altered vernacular building dated to 1613. (2) Documents of 1644 and 1678 show the name 'Quoit Green' (meaning 'cottage by or on the green'), part of Dronfield's common land. On the right, up Hallowes Lane, is a 17th century house known as Quoit Green House. (3) A grade II listed house dated to 1613 and incorporates elements of an earlier building, with remodelling in the late 18th century, and further alterations and extensions in the 20th century. It is built of coursed rubble Coal Measures sandstone, with evenly coursed squared stone to remodelled south elevation, which also has ashlar quoins. The principal roof is covered in concrete tiles, and the secondary lower roof has Welsh slate and stone slate with hessian and pitch covering. There is a single ridge stone stack with moulded capping. The building is an L-shaped house, with the principal range running east-west and lower range extending northwards from north side wall at east end. The north elevation is of two storeys and attics, of two bays, with a lower range to the east, and having a brick stack to the gable. The east gable has 8 over 8 pane glazing bar sash to the ground floor, with a doorway to the north with a massive flush frame and lintel and a 20th century half glazed door. There is a 2 over 2 pane sash window to the first floor, and the shadow of a blocked window to the gable apex. The datestone within the apex reads '1613'. Inside, the house has a two cell, probable central lobby entrance plan, now obscured by remodelling of the south elevation and loss of central doorway against the stack to the south side wall. The east room ceiling is divided into six full panels and three half panels by deeply moulded intersecting spine beams, with similarly embellished joists. The half panels are against the north side wall. There is a central hearth below a plain bressumer, itself below an inserted fascia beam, deeply moulded and brattished, with the soffit cut away to the centre. This is supported by and joined to inserted posts; the bressumer extends beyond these the full width of the room. There is a staircase to the north side of the hearth. Within the hearth are the remains of a 17th century or earlier smoke hood, with riven oak laths and daub infill above frame of hood, which extends into the first floor room, and is expressed in outline on the attic dividing wall. The smaller ground floor room has a 20th century hearth and 17th century spine beam with joists matching those to the main room to the east side of the beam. The attic storey has a blocked window to the east gable retaining diagonally-set oak mullions. The building has a single purlin roof with curved windbraces and ridge purlin carried on notched apex to collar and tie beam trusses. Quoin Green House was occupied by Thomas and Elizabeth Calton before 1613 and for a century afterwards. The interior timbering of the ground floor may represent the extensive remodelling of a high status house, or the incorporation into a remodelled structure of elements of a demolished building. Such deeply undercut timbering is not typical of North Derbyshire houses of the 17th century. See List description for more details. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Archive: Derbyshire County Council. Sites and monuments within Dronfield.
  • <2> Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Old Dronfield Society. 2009. Explore Dronfield, Drone Valley Heritage Trail No. 2.
  • <4> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1261947.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3564 7804 (19m by 20m)
Civil Parish DRONFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 13 2016 10:31AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.