Listed Building: CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS (1335461)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 214, 4, 12
Date assigned Tuesday, January 31, 1967
Date last amended

Description

Church. Late C13, C15 and 1850 by T C Hine of Nottingham. Squared sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, gableted to ridge and eaves, West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. C15 tower of three stages, divided by chamfered stringcourses. Diagonal buttresses, parapet with battlements and eight pinnacles. 3-light west window, the arch with almost straight sides. Plain 2-light bell openings to each face on the third stage again with straight sided arch and hoodmould. Gargoyles above. The remainder of the exterior all of 1850 by Hine, with Decorated Style tracery. The south side of the nave with a gabled porch with a single light window to the left and 2-light windows to the right. Two 2-light windows to the south side of the chancel. 3-light east window. Gabled north vestry. Gabled north aisle, the east window with a tripartite arrangement of 2-light centre window flanked by lower single lights. North side with three 2-light windows. Inside, a late C13 three bay north arcade with circular piers and abaci, semi-circular filleted responds and double chamfered arches. Tower arch with polygonal responds and abaci and plain chamfered outer order. North aisle roof erected in 1913, double hammer beam type with windbraces and shields on the hammers. Massive crude font with an octagonal bowl in a circular base, probably C11. C19 communion rails with fretted cusping. C19 chancel screen in Perpendicular Style. On the north wall, seven early C19 marble and slate memorials, one signed by Joseph Hall the Younger of Derby and others signed by C.Oldfield of Ashford. Chancel south, memorial to Elizabeth Heathcote, 1823 by Watson. Jacobean pulpit, Bishop's chair and communion table. At the west end of the nave, two C18 hatchments with arms of the Turbutt family. Fragments of a medieval screen and of moulded stones at the west end of the north aisle. Stained glass in the east window 1854 by Warrington. Listing NGR: SK4072560115

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 40725 60115 (point)
Map sheet SK46SW
Civil Parish MORTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Dec 18 2012 10:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.