Morton is one of the Derbyshire parishes mentioned in Domesday Book as possessed of a church and a priest. Very little of antiquity survives in the present building, however, as the body of the church was entirely rebuilt in 1850. The tower at the west end is all that remains of the old building and may be considered as a fair example of the late Perpendicular style, prevalent at the end of the 15th or early in the 16th century. The church of Morton is dedicated to the Holy Cross. (1)
Holy Cross Church is a medieval church consisting of nave with north aisle, chancel and west tower. Arcade late 13th c., tower 15th c., remainder mostly Victorian. (2) In normal use. (3)
The church is a grade II* listed building that includes late 13th century and 15th century features, with further work in 1850 by T C Hine of Nottingham. It is constructed of squared sandstone and sandstone ashlar and has slate roofs with stone coped gables, gableted to ridge and eaves. It comprises a west tower, a nave with north aisle and south porch, and a chancel with a north vestry. For fuller details, see the listed building description. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. pp 273-276.
Bibliographic reference: M.H.L.G. (1994/11/A May 1962) 24.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 09-JUN-66.
Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR) Dist of NE Derbyshire, Aug 1984, 7.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4072 6011 (26m by 16m) (Centre)
MORTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2012 10:04AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.