Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST MARY (1109271)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 183, 11, 139
Date assigned Wednesday, September 13, 1967
Date last amended

Description

SK 17 52 PARISH OF TISSINGTON RAKES LANE 11/139 (East Side) 13.9.1967 Church of St Mary GV II* Church. C12 and 1854, perhaps by Stevens. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings. Slate roofs. Lead roof to north aisle. Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel and west tower. Heavily buttressed west tower of four stages with dentil corbels and plain parapet with C19 corner pinnacles. Buttresses to the top of the second stage, one to the north, two each to west and south sides, of varying height and profile. Top stage has a square bell opening to each face. On the south side to the second stage is a narrow C12 lancet with roll moulding. Above the bell opening is a gargoyle. Nave and chancel south side, left to right. Buttress with three set-offs. Small 2-light window with pointed but slightly rounded lights under a flat head with dripmould. 2-light much restored Dec window above with flat head and cusped ogee lights. Linked at intermediate height to the right a single light window with round-arched tracery under a flat head with dripmould. Gabled porch with semi-circular arch with chamfered imposts and quoins. Six panelled raised and fielded double doors. To the right, a C19 narrow single semi-circular headed lancet and a wider single light window with semi-circular arch standing on colonnettes. To the right a wall memorial with draped urn, 1838. The chancel is lower and narrower. Wall memorial with draped urn, 1791. Neo-Norman single light window with roll moulding and hoodmould with stops. Sundial. The whole of the south side has battlements. East wall with a single neo-Norman window with a roll moulding on colonnettes and hoodmould with stops. The chancel north side with battlements and a single window, as on the south side. North aisle entirely of 1854 with four neo-Norman lancet lights with continuous roll mouldings. Four similar, but much smaller, windows to the clerestory. Plain parapet to the aisle, plain parapet on corbels to the clerestory. North aisle, east window is the same as the north windows but the west window is more elaborate with an inner order of zig zag and an outer order of a roll moulding on colonnettes. Hoodmould with billet moulding and stops. Interior - Four bay north arcade. Round piers with round abaci. Arches with two steps. Tripartite windows in the north aisle with smaller blind windows each side of the window. Norman chancel arch. Monument to Francis and Sir John Fitzherbert, died 1619 and 1643 respectively. Two tiers of kneeling figures. Columns at the angles, Ionic below, Corinthian above. Achievement and obelisks at the top. Other C17 to C19 monuments to the Fitzherberts. Early C17 communion rails with turned balusters. C18 pulpit. Painted board with coat of arms, one above the south door and one above the chancel arch. Two C18 prayer boards. Panelled dado along the south wall. Norman, tub-shaped font with incised animals. Listing NGR: SK1764852276

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 17648 52276 (point)
Map sheet SK15SE
Civil Parish TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jul 12 2007 4:47PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.