Building record MDR1114 - St Mary's Church, Tissington
Type and Period (2)
St. Mary's Church, Tissington, is a small early Norman church which was thoroughly restored in 1854 when a north aisle was added. (1,2) (SK 17645227) St. Mary's Church. (3) The church has 12th century fabric with some later insertions. The north aisle was added in 1854 when other 'Norman' features were added. Grade B. (4) In normal use. (5) St. Mary's was 'Normanised' by Robinson in 1854 when the north aisle was added. Fortunately the broad square-buttressed Norman west tower with south window, south doorway and tympanum was unchanged. This tower is a complete mixture, indeed an intentional alternation in part, of a brown sandstone, buff dolomite and grey limestone. The beautiful Norman south doorway is of a current-bedded and iron-stained fine-grained sandstone and looks Namurian. It is similar to that of the south door-way at Stanton-by-Bridge and tympana at Parwich and Hognaston. (6) The church is of historical interest; a massive square tower, speaking of Norman solidarity; heavy buttresses of a somewhat later period; a small typically Norman, window in the wall of the tower. The square wall of the nave, surmounted by a parapet, is pierced by windows of different periods and by a relatively modern porch. It is this porch which shields one of the treasures of Tissington, the fine Norman doorway. The figures which adorn it include at each side a full length with arms akimbo and a geometrical pattern in the centre. The other item of interest in the porch is an early 19th century clarinet which was used to lead the singing in the church between 1826 and 1840. Inside the church, the most immediate striking feature is the simple symmetry of the Norman chancel arch, and to the north is a fairly recent (1854) aisle of 'Victorian Norman' style. There was at one time a gallery between the porch and the internal wall of the tower at the west end. The focal point of the chruch is font. Cylindrical in shape and standing on a square plinth, it is ornamented on the outside by curious incised figures, humans and beasts. (7)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. p 449.
- <2> SDR9935 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1937. 1937. 1937.
- <3> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR5070 Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1961. DOE (HHR) Ashbourne Road, Derby.
- <5> SDR6351 Personal Observation: Baird, J. F1 JB 02-JUN-66.
- <6> SDR23342 Bibliographic reference: Stanley, M. 1990. Carved in bright stone: sources of building stone in Derbyshire.
- <7> SDR23505 Article in serial: Sample, E. 1970. 'Churches of Derbyshire, St Mary's Church, Tissington', Derbyshire Life and Countryside.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1764 5227 (25m by 17m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||TISSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2015 8:29AM