SK 15 NE PARISH OF EATON AND ALSOP DAM LANE 2/28 (South Side)
13.9.1967 St Michael's Church
Church. C12 remains but largely rebuilt in 1882-3 by F J Robinson. Coursed rubble limestone with gritstone dressings. Slate roofs with stone ridge tiles and three stone coped gables with plain kneelers, the east gable with a ridge cross. West tower, nave and lower chancel. The tower is entirely of 1882 in the Norman Style. Angle quoins. Single west lancet, a small square window with chamfered surround to north and south sides. Bell Stage with string course below and parapet. Twin bell openings within a superarch to each facade South side of the nave with a small rectangular window and much restored C12 doorway of two orders, the inner one plain and chamfered, the outer with double zigzag with triangular floral motif and a motif of bead and lozenge. C19 plank door. To the right, a round-arched window and a C19 aedicule wall memorial. South side of chancel with two plain C19 2-light square headed windows. Crude C19 east window of 3-lights with Y-tracery with trefoiled circles. North side of the nave with three small round headed windows and at the junction of the nave and chancel a buttress with three set-offs and a chimney. Interior with plain two-stepped tower arch. Chancel arch with projecting C12 jambs and imposts and C14 arch above with a step and a chamfer. Small piscina with triangle head and roll moulding in the chancel north wall. C19 tiled floors. C19 pulpit richly decorated with pinnacles and a crocheted ogee.
Listing NGR: SK1601655129
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.