Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD (1087822)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority English Heritage
Volume/Map/Item 228, 6, 149
Date assigned Wednesday, July 12, 1967
Date last amended Thursday, April 11, 1985

Description

Church. Early C13, C14, restored and chancel rebuilt 1884-7 by Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roofs, except leaded nave aisle roofs. C19 moulded stone copings with plain kneelers to gables. Western tower, nave, nave aisles, north and south transepts, south porch and rebuilt chancel. Three stage embattled tower with recessed octagonal spire. Centrally placed buttresses to three sides up to moulded stringcourse. Southern buttress has inserted lancet window. In second stage lancet to south, clock face to north. Above moulded stringcourse and flat headed bell openings with twin cusped lights and stone slate louvres to three sides. Twin lancets to east. Projecting embattled parapets over. Gargoyle to north. Four spire lucarnes with stone slates. Four more blind lucarnes to top. North nave aisle has chamfered pointed door. Stringcourse to sides and stepped up over door. To either side, early C14 twin-light flat headed windows with curvilinear tracery. North transept with continuous stringcourse stepped up below C19 twin-light north window with reticulated tracery. C14 3-light, flat-headed deeply recessed window to east with curvilinear tracery. Similar window in equiv- alent position on south transept. Two single light windows with buttresses between to north chancel wall. C19 plate tracery, 3-light east window. Corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall - single light window to east. C19 Y-tracery window to west, shouldered doorcase, and C14 2-light curvilinear traceried window beyond. C19 ovolo moulded south transept window with intersecting tracery over trefoil headed lights. Corner buttresses either side. Large 4-light window to south nave wall with unusual curvilinear tracery. South porch with C19 wooden screen to south. Central pointed arch with ogee-arched panels to sides. C13 south doorcase with continuous roll mouldings and moulded capitals. Interior has three bay C14 arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Outer arch mouldings spring from moulded bases over capitals on nave side. Similar tower arch. Early C13 chancel arch on stiff leaf capitals, above carved corbels. Late C12 piscina and sedilla to south chancel wall. Piscina under chamfered semi-circular,headed arch, with leaf decoration, to east. To west, three stepped, semi-circular headed niches with detached columns between and foliage capitals. Dripmould over with dogtooth decoration. All rebuilt in C19. C19 wooden choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit by Butterfield. Two white and grey marble wall memorials, one to Hugh Sheldon of 1725 with broken pedimented aedicule, other to Thomas Chenley of 1724 with classical aedicule and coat of arms to top. C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil stem decorated with beasts. Hatchment of 1742. C18 wooden screen to south transept chapel. (Formerly listed as Church of St Leonards)

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 15144 66473 (point)
Map sheet SK16NE
Civil Parish MONYASH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Nov 26 2013 1:44PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.