Building record MDR1276 - St Leonard's Church, Church Steet, Monyash
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
[SK 1514 6647] St. Leonard's Church, Monyash, originally an early Norman nave and a chancel extended c.1200, with a western tower added between 1225 and 1250. The nave was rebuilt and additions made in the 14th and 15th centuries. (1) Ornate sedilia and piscina are visible within the church. (2) In normal use. (3) Grade II* listed Church of St Leonards. Early 13th century, 14th century, restored and chancel rebuilt 1884-7 by Butterfield. Coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stone slate roofs, except leaded nave aisle roofs. 19th century moulded stone copings with plain kneelers to gables. Western tower, nave, nave aisles, north and south transepts, south porch and rebuilt chancel. Three stage embattled tower with recessed octagonal spire. Centrally placed buttresses to three sides up to moulded stringcourse. Southern buttress has inserted lancet window. In second stage lancet to south, clock face to north. Above moulded stringcourse and flat headed bell openings with twin cusped lights and stone slate louvres to three sides. Twin lancets to east. Projecting embattled parapets over. Gargoyle to north. Four spire lucarnes with stone slates. Four more blind lucarnes to top. North nave aisle has chamfered pointed door. Stringcourse to sides amd stepped up over door. To either side, early 14th century twin-light flat headed windows with curvilinear tracery. North transept with continuous stringcourse stepped up below 19th century twin-light north window with reticulated tracery. 14th century 3-light, flat-headed deeply recessed window to east with curviliear tracery. Similar window in equivalent position on south transept. Two single light windows with buttresses between to north chancel wall. 19th century plate tracery, 3-light east window. Corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall - single light window to east. 19th century Y-tracery window to west, shouldered doorcase, and 14th century 2-light curvilinear traceried window beyond. 19th century ovolo moulded south transept window with intersecting tracery over trefoil headed lights. Corner buttresses either side. Large 4-light window to south nave wall with unusual curvilinear tracery. South porch with 19th century wooden screen to south. Central pointed arch with ogee-arched panels to sides. 13th century south doorcase with continuous roll mouldings and moulded capitals. Interior has three bay 14th century arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Outer arch mouldings spring from moulded bases over capitals on nave side. Similar tower arch. Early 13th century chancel arch on stiff leaf capitals, above carved corbels. Late 12th century piscina and sedilla to south chancel wall. Piscina under chamfered semi-circular headed arch, with leaf decoration, to east. To west, three stepped, semi-circular headed niches with detached columns between and foliage capitals. Dripmould over with dogtooth decoration. All rebuilt in 19th century. 19th century wooden choir stalls, altar rails and pulpit by Butterfield. Two white and grey marble wall memorials, one to Hugh Sheldon of 1725 with broken pedimented aedicule, other to Thomas Chenley of 1724 with classical aedicule and coat of arms to top. 15th century octagonal font with quatrefoil stem decorated with beasts. Hatchment of 1742. 18th century wooden screen to south transept chapel. (4) Bank surrounding the Church yard could be Medieval. (5)
- <1> SDR7725 Article in serial: Cox, J. 1907. 'The Church and Village of Monyash', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 29. p.12 illus..
- <2> SDR23397 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Sedilia and piscina of Monyash Church.
- <3> SDR6104 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 17-MAR-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1087822.
- <5> SDR9828 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1554. 1554.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1514 6647 (31m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MONYASH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2015 2:00PM