SK 12 60 PARISH OF HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER MARKET PLACE 12/127 (North Side) 10.8.1951 R Stones - General Stores (formerly listed as 'Co-operative Stores', formerly Market-Hall) GV II
Market hall, now shop. 1836. Coursed squared sandstone with diagonal- and horizontal tooling. Sandstone dressings, rusticated ashlar quoins and ground floor. Slate roof. Stone gable end stacks with plain cornices. Stone coped gables. Moulded eaves cornice and pedimented gable. Three storeys, three bays, advanced two bay section to east. South elevation - three steps to raised arcade of three segmental arches with moulded imposts on square rusticated piers. Similar arches to north and south sides. To west, recessed section with centrally placed segmentally headed archway with double plank doors below. Above plain sillband Three glazing bar sashes with moulded architraves over. Similar, but shallower, window with plain sill band- to third storey. Above, in eastern gable pediment, a large plaque, decorated by central figure of man in short coat holding scales with a woman either side and inscribed: 'JH MDCCCXXXVI'.
Listing NGR: SK1287360428