Market hall built in 1836 which is classical in design with a ground floor of three rusticated depressed arches. Obviously built as a shop as the figure in the pediment is shown holding scales and a churchwardens pipe. It was built by the Hope family and there are references to tobacco in stone jambs. Good plaster ceiling in room over the shop. (1, 2).
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 237.
Bibliographic reference: Evans R. Amendements to Pevsner's Derbyshire. p 156.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1287 6043 (7m by 15m)
HARTINGTON TOWN QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 24 2009 9:44AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.