Skip to main content


Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 831-1, 3, 54
Date assigned Tuesday, March 13, 1951
Date last amended


Part of cotton mill now offices. Late C18 or very early C19. By Richard Arkwright for his son Richard. Deeply-coursed dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 8-window range. Large quoins. C20 wooden casements. North side: ground-floor and first-floor sill bands extend 5 bays; broad windows to ground-floor bays 1 and 2 have flat-headed segmental arches with keystones. First-floor windows of same bays have cambered arches with keystones. Rest of ground and first floor altered except window to ground-floor bay 5. Second floor: projecting sills to square-headed windows beneath eaves. Bays 7 and 8 have old masonry to lower walls. South side (facing river): small one-storey projection with stone slate roof. Upper floor windows as bays 1 and 2 of north side. Left return: matching windows to first and second floors; band across gable with round-framed recess (concealed by ivy); end stack. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: Richard Arkwright leased the site in 1777 and, after resolving difficulties over the water rights, built the mill for his son Richard. By 1821 it employed 350 people under the management of Richard and Peter Arkwright. Various later C19 owners. Main mill buildings rebuilt after a fire in 1868. (The Industrial Archaeology of the British Isles: Harris H: Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District: 1971-: 105-106). Listing NGR: SK2123669004

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SK 2123 6900 (point)
Map sheet SK26NW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

May 20 2022 2:25PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.