Scheduled Monument: MOATED SITE 60M WEST OF EDLASTON HALL (1019492)

Please read our .

Authority English Heritage
Other Ref SM Cat. No. 508
Date assigned Friday, June 1, 2001
Date last amended

Description

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches, often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains. The earthwork and buried remains of the moated site 60m west of Edlaston Hall are well preserved and will retain important archaeological and environmental evidence in buried deposits. The moat will contribute to our knowledge and understanding of the development and working of medieval manorial centres in the area and the position they held in the wider landscape. DETAILS The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of a moated site at Edlaston. The monument is situated to the west of Edlaston Hall on a terrace between two small tributaries of the River Dove. The moated site survives as a series of earthworks and buried remains. The moat, which is approximately 12m wide, up to 0.5m deep and U-shaped in section surrounds a sub-rectangular, central platform. The southern and eastern arms of the ditch have been infilled but their layout is clearly evident from aerial photographs. The enclosed platform measures approximately 30m by 26m with evidence of features on its surface. These take the form of low undulations and are interpreted as the remains of medieval buildings but the precise layout of these is difficult to define on the ground surface. All modern fences are excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath them is included. SELECTED SOURCES Other Reference - Title: Edlaston Hall, R. F. Hartley - Date: 1993 - Type: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPH - Description: No. 93.08.13 date 31.12.93 SK175428

External Links (0)

Sources (1)

  • Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling Notification: Moated Site 60m west of Edlaston Hall. List entry no. 1019492. SM Cat. No. 508.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1757 4292 (59m by 80m)
Map sheet SK14SE
Civil Parish EDLASTON AND WYASTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Sep 12 2013 2:12PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.