Skip to main content

Listed Building: ASHBOURNE METHODIST CHURCH (1335181)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 822, 1, 10001
Date assigned Thursday, July 23, 1992
Date last amended

Description

Methodist church. Dated 1880. Orange/red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings and terracotta ornament; Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with basement having symmetrical 1:3:1 bay facade with corner towers and 1:7 bay right return. Classical details. Chamfered plinth over basement windows; full entablatures above ground and 1st floors of facade have terracotta roundels on the friezes and modillioned cornices. Nosed steps to central entrance having panelled double doors and fanlight with roundel beneath archivolt with acanthus keystone; Corinthian 1/2 columns to each side. Bays 2 and 4 have narrow round-arched windows with apron panels and moulded sills on triglyph blocks all set in round- arched recesses with ashlar imposts. Corner Towers have corner pilasters with panels of terracotta roundels and similar windows to bays 2 and 4 but largely infilled by more terracotta. 1st floor: Ionic 1/2 columns between round-arched windows of central recess; terracotta aprons, moulded sills and imposts, keystones. The Towers have Ionic pilasters which flank shouldered windows beneath dentilled cornices. Central pediment with dated triangular panel in tympanum. Corner Towers with terracotta- panelled parapets surmounted by balustrades which link corner dies with draped and finialled urns. Right return: bay 1 detailed as tower then 7 bays of which the central 5 have segmentally- arched basement windows and round-arched windows lighting the church; piers between. Interior: 2 aisles; pitch-pine pews; end gallery. Later organ in coved recess beneath basket arch on Corinthian columns; round-arched doorway to each side. Brackets on carved corbels support flat ceiling with coved edge; tie rods with scrollwork. Opened March 15th 1881 as the 'New Wesleyan Chapel'. Rear-right corner of building is linked to church rooms known as Central Hall, Station Road (q.v.).

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 17853 46567 (point)
Map sheet SK14NE
Civil Parish ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 8 2015 4:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.