Skip to main content

Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE (1110019)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 276, 6, 30
Date assigned Wednesday, July 12, 1967
Date last amended


SK 21 76 PARISH OF EYAM CHURCH STREET 6/30 (North Side) 12-7-67 Church of St Lawrence GV II* Parish Church. C13, C15, partly rebuilt 1619. North aisle and chancel restored by Street 1868-9. South aisle and porch rebuilt by J D Webster, 1882-3. Coursed squared and coursed rubble gritstone. Limestone rubble to chancel. Gritstone dressings. Plinth. C20 concrete tile roof to chancel, others leaded. Stone coped gables. Ridge crosses to east of Chancel and nave. Plain parapets with moulded copings to nave aisle, embattled C15 parapets to clerestory. West tower,clesoried nave nave aisles, chancel, north vestry and south porch. Two stage western tower with stepped diagonal buttresses to western corners. C19, 2-light cusped, pointed west window with scotia moulding, copy of bell openings above. Over, datestone inscribed 'CW TB WC TC PT7CH 1619 15 MAR'. Attached to south side of tower two stone plaques, one of 1741 erected by Thomas Sheldon. Clock face over. Louvred, cusped 2-light pointed bell openings with scotia moulded aedicules to all sides above. Moulded stringcourse over with central and corner gargoyles. Embattled parapets with crocketed corner pinnacles, mostly C19. C19 north nave aisle has two single lancets to west wall and five pointed 3-light windows with various designs of reticulated tracery to north wall. Continuous cill band below. To east, pointed north vestry door. Above, in clerestory, three C15 2-light, flat headed windows with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels. C19 triple cusped lancets with transom to east of north vestry. East window - three stepped lancets. Three lancets to south chancel wall joined by cill band. Two lancets to west, larger. Between eastern two, a pointed chamfered doorcase with moulded hood and imposts. Above, fine square stone sundial of 1775, inscribed to top 'INDUCE ANIMUM SAPIENTEM'. Also inscribed in semi-circle round base of gnomon, 'Willi Lee and Thomas Froggatt. Churchwardens. Anno X 1775'. Attached to side of door near ground, a pair of C13 gravestones incised with crosses. Nave aisle has 3-light reticulated 1880's window, with hood to east wall . Two similar windows to south wall. Beyond, to west, south porch with pointed doorcase, inner order supported by hook shafts. Diagonal buttresses either side. Cusped lancet to nave aisle beyond, to west. Above, in clerestory, three C19 imitations of north clerestory windows. Interior - three bay arcades to north and south with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches, southern piers octagonal, one column and one quatrefoil pier to north. Tower arch, triple chamfered with inner moulding supported by half column pilasters. Double chamfered pointed chancel arch with soffit on corbels. Nave roof c15, restored in C20. Other roofs C19. Chancel has barrel vault and two bay northern arcade with central quatrefoil pier, moulded capital and double chamfered-arches, C19 trefoil headed painted wooden arcade behind altar. Various Cl9 stained glass windows, also one of 1911 by Geoffrey Webb. C18 pulpit with Cl9 ironwork railing to side, probably by Street. C16 murals to clerestory walls. Stone font, probably C12 with semi-circular arcading in low relief. Charity plaque of 1760. Various Cl8 stone wall memorials. Re-used C17 panelled screen,with balustraded top,in tower arch. Listing NGR: SK2177476417

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SK 2177 7641 (point)
Map sheet SK27NW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Aug 25 2023 10:50PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.